PDA

View Full Version : Q7 S or Q7 RS ???

Gallardo
November 12th, 2006, 17:05
Does Audi plan to produce a Q7 sport version to compete against Porsche Cayenne Turbo and VW Touareg W12 Sport?

Or is the Q7 V12 TDI the most sporty Q7?

I'd love to see a Q7 S or Q7 RS with the 5.2 V10... :bow:

Leadfoot
November 12th, 2006, 21:18
Does Audi plan to produce a Q7 sport version to compete against Porsche Cayenne Turbo and VW Touareg W12 Sport?

Or is the Q7 V12 TDI the most sporty Q7?

I'd love to see a Q7 S or Q7 RS with the 5.2 V10... :bow:

You are kidding, the V12 TDi will have 500+hp and enough torque to move a mountain. The 5.2 V10 would at most be it's little brother.:D

Benman
November 13th, 2006, 17:56
His question was: Or is the Q7 V12 TDI the most sporty Q7?, not, what is the most powerfull?.

So, I'd say no. It will not be the most "sporty", the V10 will be more "sporty". But remember, we're talking about a 5500lb Audi here. ;)

Ben

Leadfoot
November 14th, 2006, 12:27
His question was: Or is the Q7 V12 TDI the most sporty Q7?, not, what is the most powerfull?.

So, I'd say no. It will not be the most "sporty", the V10 will be more "sporty". But remember, we're talking about a 5500lb Audi here. ;)

Ben

Ben,

I hate to disagree,:noshake: but you are like all of us confusing rev range with sportiness. Unless they give the v10 twin-turbos the v12TDi will be the quickest, not only in acceleration out-right but even more so in-gear.

There hasn't be one test, not one that hasn't put the new 335d ahead of the 335i coupe as the most desirable model to own. It's the one that makes most use of the chassis. Like-wise with the A8, it's the 4.2TDi which is not only the quickest against the 4.2L petrol but the most entertaining.

We in Europe have had powerful diesels in luxury cars for quite a while now and as such have conditioned our way of thinking to their abilities and benefits. When you (state-side) experience the big diesels you will see them in a whole new light.:thumb:

Benman
November 14th, 2006, 16:18
Ben,

I hate to disagree,:noshake: but you are like all of us confusing rev range with sportiness. Unless they give the v10 twin-turbos the v12TDi will be the quickest, not only in acceleration out-right but even more so in-gear.

You missunderstand. I am one of the biggest diesel advocates Stateside. I am not saying the V12TDI will not be the sportiest because it's a diesel. I am saying it will not be the sportiest because it is a big, front end heavy V12TT engine. Yes, it will be the fastest, yes, it will be the best accellerating Q7, but no, it will not be the best handling in the tight stuff. It can't. It will be the one lugging the most weight around over the front axle.

There are those on AudiWorld (yes, yes, I know...) that are saying after back to back drives, they can "feel" the heaviness of the V8 vs the V6. Now imagine the TDI V12! It will be a tanker. Yes, Audi will do everything they can to curb the "tank" feel, but it will still be a tank! The base V8 weights @5500lbs with no options! The V12TDI will be 6000lbs+!!! So no, to me, that ain't sporty.

With that said, I do not buy SUVs for their "sportiness", I would buy them for their capabilities. And keeping that in mind, the big TDIs will be the perfect SUV, sporty or not.:cheers:

Ben:addict:

Leadfoot
November 14th, 2006, 21:11
You're right Ben, I did misunderstand you. With your comments regarding the v6 vs v8, yes can also agree with this first hand so to speak. At a Porsche Cayenne day I got to drive both the v8 Cayenne S and the standard v6 Cayenne around a test-track, where I found the v6 to not only turn-in better but was more resistant to understeer. But this only showed under extreme speeds on a track and doubt it would be experienced on the road to the same extent.

chewym
November 16th, 2006, 06:09
The VW 12 TDI weights 728 pounds. 500 hp/738 lb-ft torque. The Q7 would weight about 5700 with it.

The V10 5.2 FSI weights 484 pounds and provides 450 hp and 399 lb-ft. It isn't confirmed also.

The V8 FSI version is the best current 7 passanger handling SUV, per the Car and Driver test. The new X5 will probably challange. Will the V10FSI (if it ever comes) be any better as that engine is heavier, probably as the suspension can be modified. The V12 TDI is getting a more sporty suspension if IIRC. I am sure it won't be much behind the V8. I guess it all depends if Audi makes a V10 FSI Q7. I think they won't now that the V12 TDI has been anounced.

Benman
November 16th, 2006, 20:24
The VW 12 TDI weights 728 pounds. 500 hp/738 lb-ft torque. The Q7 would weight about 5700 with it.

I was thinking the V8 weights around 410lbs... but may be off, haven't confirmed. If so, the V12 weights a full 300lbs+ more... and that is just the engine. The trans will be bigger, the brakes will be bigger, it will have even more options as "standard", etc. It will not weight 5700lbs as the V8 "dry" weights north of 5300lbs and "wet" weights 5500lbs+ . So considering that, the loaded V12 will have a "real world" weight north of 6000lbs... i.e heavy. ;)

Ben

AndyBG
November 17th, 2006, 16:14
What about Q7 W12 ?

gjg
November 17th, 2006, 21:21
speaking of Q7's weight:

3.0 TDI quattro 6/7 - 2325 kg (empty)
4.2 FSI quattro 6/7 - 2270 kg (empty)

Max weight loaded 3120 / 3065 (3.0 TDI/4.2 FSI)

So as Ben pointed out the V12 TDI could be another 150-200 kg on the top of the 3.0 TDI?

Leadfoot
November 20th, 2006, 18:19
Yeah I know Ben has a point but like the Americans love to say to us Europeans, there's no substitute for size :dig: and to this I would like the add there's no substitute for torque and lots of it. :hahahehe:

We know that the nose will be a lot heavier than even a Q7 with the big beast of an engine called the 5.2v10 but when you are seating side by side two Q7s, one with a 5.2v10 and the other a v12TDi looking at a mile long straight piece of motorway with a steep incline, I know which one I would be putting my money on to get to the top first.:jlol: