PDA

View Full Version : The Answer

Benman
September 19th, 2006, 15:45
WARNING: LONG!

As some of you know, my uncle Brian and I decided to purchase a bona-fide racecar. Going halves made sense in a lot of ways as the car would only see the track and therefore not get quite enough use to justify one person usage and ownership. We both have busy schedules and can only make a few track events/races each year and the most obvious reason would be to split the cost of the car :D . In the past, I’ve done numerous track events but never ventured into actual racing despite my father co-owning a team in NASCAR WEST and my uncle winning many circle and road course races over the last several years. With encouragement from Brian, I recently completed my very first race not too long ago in our shop’s 92 Prelude (a great learner car as I would have nowhere been near ready for the car we were about to get). After a total of three races in the Prelude I was signed of for my TCRA Race License (the local race group I run with).

So it came about that Stasis had a couple of B5 cars for sale. But these were no ordinary B5s. These were originally the B5s sold to Champion Racing for their World Speed Challenge GT program. They were purpose built, body on white racecars. They never had a street VIN assigned to them and actually have a Audi Sport UK VIN chassis stamp! When Galati raced the B5 S4s they were converted (by Audi Sport UK) to RS 4 spec with fenders and upgraded motors. They also wore serious 275/35/18 rubber with bespoke magnesium rims custom made to order by BBS. We contacted Paul Lambert back in May with interest in picking up one of these cars that they were now currently running in the World Speed Challenge with smaller rubber (235/17) and 1.8T motors. Originally, I would have liked to reunite the car with it’s 2.7T motor, but besides the cost factor, Paul convinced me it would be wise for us to sample the car with the 1.8T motor first, since the advantages of the heavier V6TT over the lighter 1.8T are not as much as one would think. That decision proved to be very wise as the 1.8T in this thing is far more than just adequate…

Some of things we had Stasis do to the car was to reunite it with its oh so sexy front flared fender sheet metal (as the quarters were already done) and to perform a two seater conversion (to take the wifes around during lunch breaks of course :D) as opposed to the single seater the car had always been (this ended up improving the looks as well IMHO). Also, of course in the World Speed Challenge, Paul and his team are greatly limited as to the amount of boost and HP they can use. Even with @ 280-295HP, his cars weighing in @ 2500lbs are extremely competitive so upping the horsepower is a big no-no for him. This however is not a factor for us :D. No such strict rules. For me, the TCRA guys are an excellent bunch and rules (with the exception of safety) are very lenient when it comes to power (just move up a class :D). Brian will be running mostly NASA events and occasional USTCC races where a little restriction will come into order. Paul and Stasis’s solution to this was a different ECU program for both myself and Brian. When Brian runs, he will run a lower boost and smaller World Challenge shoes (235/17s). Me, I get to run the big 275/18s and more HP (again, TCRA, less politics, more fun). And those 275 tires lead me to perhaps my favorite part of the car. Those wheels. Through much effort, Paul was able to track down the original, authentic Champion Audi BBS forge magnesium wheels. It wasn’t easy or fast for him to find these but he did. There are very few of these left and for him to snag these for me for a very reasonable cost, my hats off to him. Originally, all this was envisioned to take a set time frame. Things didn’t quite turn out that way.

After several delays and some frustration, we took delivery one week ago from this past weekend. I have to say, that despite our disappointment in the delayed delivery, Paul and Stasis were class A through the whole deal and went out of his/their way to try and make us happy as a way to make up for the delays and our missed races we had planned with the car. It again came right down to the wire as the car had not even seen a dyno until the Friday right before my Saturday race! At this point, Paul actually (at his cost I might add) had his engineer Shaun Gilliland (coincidentally, no relation to our NASCAR WEST Rookie of the Year Driver David Gilliland who's now in NEXTEL CUP) fly down to So Cal to complete the engine work at GIAC’s place (who Garret was kind enough to let them use). Shaun picked the car up from us (we took physical delivery just three days prior) and went to work. Also, something I was most certainly not expecting from Paul or Stasis, he had both Shaun AND Adwin Timmermans (crew chief for Chip Herr) come to my first race to coach me with our new car. Their info proved to be invaluable and their time away from more important matters was greatly appreciated to no end ( in fact, Shaun spends 80+ days out of the year traveling for his job at Stasis, so this just added even more :D and Adwin had his family visiting his wife and him all the way from Holland! Yet they took the time to be there for us for Saturday! Amazing!). Thank you.:bow: :cheers:

It was hard for me to get used to the idea of people who I had met for the very first time, tell me to drive a car harder that I had never driven before on a track I had never raced before! Seems, I was “grandma’ing” the thing way too much and therefore was not getting near enough heat in the tires for the car to handle worth a darn (this is a racecar after all :D). First session Saturday, I looped it. Embarrassing, but no harm, no foul. Second session, hit a patch of water and before you could say “Mother may I…” looped it again. Thought these things had Quattro? :D Cold race tires + water patch= bad. My times were horrible but it wasn’t the car, I just needed to grow a set and start driving like a real man instead of some sissy boy. Adwing and Shaun (not to mention Brain) were very patient and just kept encouraging me to have more “trust” in the car (keep in mind going from a front wheel drive 170hp Prelude “racecar” to something that weighs the same yet has double the power and much more rear bias [20%front/80%rear power distribution] took some getting used to :D). Now, you would think that owning (and tracking) a modded S4 (which I’ll now not be needing anymore:D) and an RS6 would prepare me for this car. No such luck. Those cars are like Geo Metros compared to this Beast! Seriously, that is not an exaggeration. This car is amazing. The steering, the handling (closer to 55/45 ft/rr weight distribution!), how responsive, that engine, the noise, this car was like no Audi I’ve ever driven. It is no Audi at all! It’s the real deal racecar! What did Nordschliefe call them, “silhouette” cars. Yep, kinda sums it up. Looks like a S4 with a RS 4 converion (did I mention how good that looks? :D), but it ain’t and you simply can not compare street cars to a real racer (upcoming R8 included).:bow:

Last session on Saturday, the qualifying race, went much better with me shaving nearly ten seconds of my sucky last session times. I was starting to actually DRIVE the car, although I did, and still do, have a long way to go with this car. After the race, got some more useful feedback from Shaun and Adwin before they had to go and packed up.

Sunday, I calmed down a bit (but was still pumped with excitement of course) and drove clean, without incident throughout the day. As for Sunday’s main event race, easy class win (well, almost. Two laps to go, could not get third gear to save my life. One of the things Shaun said they simply didn’t have time to fix as he did not realize the tranny was going till Friday’s dyno testing. So the last two laps, I had to fend of an old GTI (seen in pic below) that I had previously smoked, since going from 2nd to 4th was not exactly ideal circumstansces). Again, not me, it’s the car. It is so wretchedly excessive, so outrageously overkill… I LOVE IT! :hihi: Even though the field consisted of 43 cars comprising 5 different classes (think wannabe Le Mans race for speed differences between the cars) I finished in the top ten overall and took my class win. Only placed 2nd in the Prelude (and a 3rd), so taking my first win in the Audi was a nice touch (who cares if the car was too fast for the competition, still won! :D). To be honest, this car was the fastest car out of the entire field! I simply lacked the balls to drive it as such. A better driver/racer would have taken the overall vistory. Ah well… better safe than sorry. Main thing is I’m in one piece, cars in one piece and it’s ready for Brian’s USTCC race at Infieon Raceway in October (well, short of new tranny) and I come away knowing much more about the car than I did Saturday morning. :thumb: :D

Thanks to all my family and friends that came to see the “debut” and many thanks to Paul who made things right, Adwin and Shaun who took time to come help a wannabe, and Brian for the encouragement, very much appreciated. Most importantly, thanks to my wife who puts up with all my crap (even as I type all this jibberish, she lies in bed waiting for me to finish on the computer :D).

Wow, what an engine, what a chassis, what brakes, what a car! IT WAS WORTH THE WAIT!

Pics to follow

Ben:addict:

Benman
September 19th, 2006, 15:49
Front shot:

Benman
September 19th, 2006, 15:50
rear shot:

Benman
September 19th, 2006, 15:54
The pedal box in this car was originally from the R8 program, but since that turned out to be sequential... turned up elsewhere. Put it this way, that pedal box alone costs more than a year's worth of car payments on my RS 6!:eek:

Benman
September 19th, 2006, 15:56
Special VIN, Straight from Audi Sport UK!!! :applause: :

Benman
September 19th, 2006, 16:01
Perhaps my favorite part of this very special car, the original BBS Magnesium rims custom built to order for Champion Audi for their race program. These 18"x9.5" beauties weight a scant 6850 grams! For my American buddies, that's 15lbs!!!

Benman
September 19th, 2006, 16:03
Adwin, Shaun and Brian (my "crew") doing prerace checks:

Benman
September 19th, 2006, 16:04
Anticipation:

Benman
September 19th, 2006, 16:06
All by myself through the twisties (well, not exactly, there's a Spec Renault behind me [where he'd stay :D]):

Benman
September 19th, 2006, 16:08
Side shot:

Benman
September 19th, 2006, 16:09
California Speedway's BIG front straight:

Benman
September 19th, 2006, 16:11
Despite all the "solo" pics, there were a lot of cars on the track (43), for me anyway. Some "action" shots:

Benman
September 19th, 2006, 16:12
Attack of the sedans:

Benman
September 19th, 2006, 16:13
Through traffic:

Benman
September 19th, 2006, 16:14
There were of course some very special cars there as well: :dig:

Benman
September 19th, 2006, 16:15
Sweet Porsche (for Andy):

Benman
September 19th, 2006, 16:16
And it's immaculate engine! (yep, it was fast):

Benman
September 19th, 2006, 16:19
Future car model :thumb: :

Benman
September 19th, 2006, 16:21
And Kassandra doing "safety checks" for Daddy:

Last pic. Sorry for a Bizzillion posts but I can only post one at a time and only 148K. The pics started out high quality but I had to resize them down to fit... that and trying to get used to the new layout!:idea: :vhmmm: :D

AndyBG
September 19th, 2006, 17:21
Looks like have a great time.

Fantastic car... :0:

krm
September 19th, 2006, 18:08
What a purchase! Congratulations on such a sweet track toy, enjoy it well! :s4addict:

Ruergard
September 19th, 2006, 18:50
Awesome!

Great writeup, very good written! Enjoyed every minute reading it! :)
And what a car.. no other word than awesome! That pedal box, and those rims.. damn! :D

alex_s3
September 19th, 2006, 19:32
congratulations! :)
A really nice S4!

MR USER
September 19th, 2006, 21:25
Nice Race car..... I have one with similar colors but as you can see from the looks its a much more seriour racer....:MTM:

Mr Balsen
September 19th, 2006, 21:44
Congratulation on this purchase.

We live only once. Enjoy....

Cheers,
Frederic

Leadfoot
September 19th, 2006, 21:51
Ben,

You are a very lucky guy, not just to have the money to do something like this but to has the kind of wife that is understanding enough to let you live the dream. She's a one in a million.

When in Paris take up Frederic's offer and buy her something special.:thumb: Something that sparkles in the light.:D

Mr Balsen
September 19th, 2006, 22:30
Ben,

You are a very lucky guy, not just to have the money to do something like this but to has the kind of wife that is understanding enough to let you live the dream. She's a one in a million.

When in Paris take up Frederic's offer and buy her something special.:thumb: Something that sparkles in the light.:D

I am preparing a sub selection of Boucheron pieces:

http://www.joden.com/cat/artdeco/images/B23A-00_png.gif

http://www.primaveragallery.com/UploadedImages/Boucheron%20pearls%20necklace%20and%20braceletL.jp g

http://www.ekantiquejewelry.com/antiquejewelry0706/r11023/1.jpg

Cheers,
Frederic

JavierNuvolari
September 20th, 2006, 01:53
Felicitaciones Ben!! FAN-TAS-TIC car!! sounds and looks like serious fun and you(for what I can read) are like a kid with long waited new toy. Awesome car....nothing to say, make sure you post some videos of it. BTW that pedal box....DAMN! it looks good.

Cheers,

Javier

Ps. Felicitaciones stands for Congratulations ;)

IulianUM
September 20th, 2006, 01:55
Congrats Ben , you know how to live . And have a great family , your daughter could be the first woman Champion of F1 .:bow:

Frederic , jewellry should be forbiden here , if my girlfriend see that , my credit card is dead . :doh:

jeremy@matrix
September 20th, 2006, 01:57
Awesome Ben!! I'm so glad you/Brian bought it. It's definitely been placed in good hands.

STaSIS (Paul Lambert, Shaun Gillilan) and crew are first rate. You are lucky to have had such a great staff to send you out properly in it. Shaun is an ace and great resource on those STaSIS B5's for you. He actually was one of our head techs for a few years--small world! (It looks like you already have Willans harness so no need for Schroth's). ;)

PPS--Nice sticker on the rear wing there. :)

Bauer
September 20th, 2006, 03:01
Ben,

I am VERY happy the car finally made it to you and your Uncle. It could not have gone to two better owners.

If you like, I see Michael Galati quite a bit at the races and could ask him to sign something off the car for you since it was his old ride? Thought it might be a nice touch.

Also, here are some photos of your car eariler this year in the SPEED World Challenge Touring Car season. Jeff Courtney took very good care of it for you:incar: . Jeff is still in the points lead for Rookie of the Year, although the field has tightened up in the last few races.

http://images17.fotki.com/v293/photos/6/673844/3406696/StPete2006STaSIS009-vi.jpg?1144171455

http://images16.fotki.com/v288/photos/6/673844/3406696/StPete2006STaSIS015-vi.jpg?1144171492

http://images18.fotki.com/v266/photos/6/673844/3406696/StPete2006STaSIS023-vi.jpg?1144171557

http://images18.fotki.com/v16/photos/6/673844/3406696/023-vi.jpg?1158716872

http://images19.fotki.com/v292/photos/6/673844/3406696/030-vi.jpg?1158716907

http://images19.fotki.com/v292/photos/6/673844/3406696/058-vi.jpg?1158716924

And we will throw in a Flag Girl for you:hahahehe:

http://images15.fotki.com/v260/photos/6/673844/3406696/StPete2006STaSIS020-vi.jpg?1144171529

Very glad to hear your first outting was such a success!!

Cheers,

AndyBG
September 20th, 2006, 03:27
Sweet Porsche (for Andy):

Hey, Ben, you are the king:king: , I just now saw this,...

Thanks, you'r the MAN!

:thumb:

Benman
September 20th, 2006, 15:24
Thanks guys, very excited to have the Beast. It's so thrilling to drive, it's really hard to describe. I can't see any car coming out in the near future that would upstage this for me. This will be the last "toy" I buy for quite some time. Read several years...

Leadfoot, my wife is closer to one in ten million ;) (In fact, she's so cool, that after realizing the $$$ spent on this "toy" she said we could cancel the Q7 order and just get her a Civic to save $$$. Needless to say, she'll be getting the Q7. It makes me want to buy it for her all the more!)

Frederick, I may just have to get her something afterall.:thumb:

Jeremy, yeah, I heard from Shaun that he used to work up your way and how Stasis "stole" him. :D

Ben, next time I'm up at a track where Galati is at, we'll see about that sig.:thumb:

Bauer
September 20th, 2006, 17:59
Ben,

Sorry to hear you will not be coming to the Infineon event but I totally understand the time constraints. Enjoy the car and don't be a stranger.

P.S. will you be coming up for the Laguna race in October?

Cheers,

Benman
September 21st, 2006, 00:12
Ben,
P.S. will you be coming up for the Laguna race in October?

Cheers,

Yep. My fam and I will see you there.:cheers:

Garrett Lim
September 23rd, 2006, 01:05
Hi Ben,

Congratulations on your purchase of this thoroughbred race car. We are extremely pleased with the outcome of the map we generated @GIAC for the OEM Bosch street ECU and we enjoyed tuning with the World Challege Mahle Motorsports turbo hardware. Much of the performance mappings were derived from the Mahle Motorsports Pectel race ECU settings that were already proven on your hardware. Shaun@Stasis and I logged several hours of full throttle tuning and driving simulation on the dyno and we both agreed that the car is quite impressive! There is very early spoolup with exceptional top end. From a power perspective this setup should not do you wrong.

Here is a link to ~1meg video of some of the dyno testing @GIAC. It sounds great.

http://www.giacusa.com/images/worldchallengesetupstasisgiacmahle050c.wmv

Congrats,
Garrett Lim
GAIC

jeremy@matrix
September 23rd, 2006, 02:37
Hi Ben,

Congratulations on your purchase of this thoroughbred race car. We are extremely pleased with the outcome of the map we generated @GIAC for the OEM Bosch street ECU and we enjoyed tuning with the World Challege Mahle Motorsports turbo hardware. Much of the performance mappings were derived from the Mahle Motorsports Pectel race ECU settings that were already proven on your hardware. Shaun@Stasis and I logged several hours of full throttle tuning and driving simulation on the dyno and we both agreed that the car is quite impressive! There is very early spoolup with exceptional top end. From a power perspective this setup should not do you wrong.

Here is a link to ~1meg video of some of the dyno testing @GIAC. It sounds great.

Congrats,
Garrett Lim
GAIC

:thumb: G-man.

Bauer
September 24th, 2006, 17:58
Hi Ben,

Congrats,
Garrett Lim
GAIC

Garrett,

Thank you very much for the time and effort you put into this project as I know you have a very busy schedule. The car turned out fantastic and the crew at STaSIS greatly appreciates it.

Cheers

Ben

SoCal
September 25th, 2006, 07:08
Ben,

Congratulations on your new "toy". That's some pretty serious hardware. Thanks for the great write-up about your first race and the pics. I look forward to hearing about your future conquests on the track. Have fun and stay safe.

Benman
September 25th, 2006, 15:37
Hi Ben,

Congrats,
Garrett Lim
GAIC

Awesome!:applause:

If nothing else, my post has made Garrett of GIAC a member of rs6.com.:thumb:

Garrett, thanks again for the use of your facility. BTW, we did our best when putting the #356 on the car, not to cover up your GIAC decals.:0: